Throughout recent history there have been many changes and technological advances in the logistics industry. Here are some interesting facts about logistics that are relevant to the past few decades.
- Amazon, the biggest disruptor of the retail industry, is advancing into the logistics sector by building their own infrastructure, complete with Amazon branded planes, trucks, ships, and warehouses.
- On December 7, 2016, Amazon Prime Air successfully made their first drone delivery in the UK. The delivery took 13 minutes to reach a customer who lives in a rural area. They ordered a FIRE TV streaming device and some popcorn to go along with it.
- FedEx handles and processes nearly 1.3 million packages in a single night at their sorting facility in Memphis. FedEx is expected to deliver roughly 25 million packages IN A SINGLE DAY during the weeks surrounding the Holidays.
- There are more than 9 million people employed in the freight and logistics industry who rely on this income as their only income source.
- Self driving trucks are really advancing and some tests have been successfully completed. One of these tests was done by Otto, which is a shipping company owned by Uber. The delivery was done in Colorado and the freight consisted of 50,000 cans of beer.
- The U.S. economy depends on trucks to deliver 70% of all freight annually and this accounts for $671 billion dollars per year.
- In the United States there are roughly 3.5 million truck drivers moving freight around the country. This breaks down to around 1 in every 15 people in America working in the trucking industry.
Logistics is an interesting industry with a ton of moving parts. It is an ever evolving industry that is always advancing to meet the demand of supply around the world. As a logistics company in Philadelphia Hughes Custom Logistics takes the time to get to know our clients and what their personal requests are so that we can tackle the challenges together.