Throughout recent history there have been many changes and technological advances in the logistics industry. Here are some interesting facts about logistics that are relevant to the past few decades.
- Amazon, the biggest disruptor of the retail industry, is advancing into the logistics sector by building their own infrastructure, complete with Amazon branded planes, trucks, ships, and warehouses.
- On December 7, 2016, Amazon Prime Air successfully made their first drone delivery in the UK. The delivery took 13 minutes to reach a customer who lives in a rural area. They ordered a FIRE TV streaming device and some popcorn to go along with it.
- FedEx handles and processes nearly 1.3 million packages in a single night at their sorting facility in Memphis. FedEx is expected to deliver roughly 25 million packages IN A SINGLE DAY during the weeks surrounding the Holidays.
- There are more than 9 million people employed in the freight and logistics industry who rely on this income as their only income source.
- Self driving trucks are really advancing and some tests have been successfully completed. One of these tests was done by Otto, which is a shipping company owned by Uber. The delivery was done in Colorado and the freight consisted of 50,000 cans of beer.
- The U.S. economy depends on trucks to deliver 70% of all freight annually and this accounts for $671 billion dollars per year.
- In the United States there are roughly 3.5 million truck drivers moving freight around the country. This breaks down to around 1 in every 15 people in America working in the trucking industry.
Logistics is an interesting industry with a ton of moving parts. It is an ever evolving industry that is always advancing to meet the demand of supply around the world. At Hughes Custom Logistics we take the time to get to know our clients and what their personal requests are so that we can tackle the challenges together.